Technology has moved on again. We’ve advanced relatively quickly from the cloud age when resources needed to run applications were available as a service on the cloud. Now applications running in the cloud are designed and custom-built to primarily operate in the cloud. Welcome to the cloud native age.
Research suggests that by 2022, about 95 percent of all applications developed internally by organizations are expected to be deployed on the cloud. Out of these, 55 percent of newly developed apps will be designed as cloud native. By simply deploying applications to the cloud through a “lift and shift” approach, organizations are already facing a stalling ROI. This has made it essential for organizations to shift to a cloud native application development approach where applications are built to live and breathe in the cloud.
Why go cloud native?
According to the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), “cloud native technologies empower organizations to build and run scalable applications in modern, dynamic environments such as public, private and hybrid clouds.”
Cloud native application development possesses massive potential for business impact. It is trending due to its ability to move an idea into production quickly and efficiently. With cloud native, organizations can take advantage of the distinctive, inherent characteristics of the cloud platform such as bi-directional innovation, faster speed to value, more rapid new product ideation, and great elasticity, scale and resiliency. Now more than ever, it is about having the architectural tenets in place to bolster true cloud native computing capabilities.
The essential elements of cloud native application development
Cloud native development is a new way of building and running applications which takes full advantage of the cloud computing model. Let’s take a look at how these applications are built.
To create applications in a truly cloud native manner, organizations must be aware of the components which are essential for a successful cloud native system.
Five ingredients must be present to reap the maximum benefit of this new disruptive trend:
- Microservices: By structuring applications as a collection of loosely coupled services, microservices strengthen continuous delivery and deployment.
- Containers: Containers provide portability and guarantee consistency across environments. By enveloping everything into a single package, the microservice and its dependencies are isolated from the underlying infrastructure.
- Agile development: Agile is all about making development processes fast and easy, creating super-nimble organizations that can innovate quickly.
- DevOps: DevOps focuses on how quickly a program can move from the design stage into production.
- Cloud: Cloud is an extremely flexible delivery platform that can support many different architectural and deployment styles.
Organizations need to chain all these technologies, processes and services of cloud native together to produce an outcome that will enhance business value through increasing increase speed and agility.
In the world brimming with data which is being created at an exponentially high rate, consumers want more and you have to deliver now. With the cloud native approach, you can get the elasticity, scalability and the resilience of cloud computing – the way it was meant to be used.
With strong experience in delivering more than 200 successful cloud projects globally, we enable enterprises to become true citizens of the cloud rather than being an instance. Get in touch with our experts to learn how the cloud can unlock new possibilities for your business.